Sunday, December 18, 2016

20/800

I have myopia. In fact, I have severe myopia. It's nothing to be alarmed about because, simply stated, I am nearsighted. Apparently, I'm in good company.  Studies show that approximately 33% of all Americans suffer from myopia. An eyeglass prescription of -9.00 means that, without my contacts, I'm unable to discern facial features in the mirror when standing as close as two feet away. Unaided, I'm not able to see the big "E" on the vision chart at the ophthalmologist's office. In numerical terms, my uncorrected vision is roughly 20/800.  Yikes!

At the other end of the spectrum is hyperopia. Someone with hyperopia sees things in the distance perfectly, but has trouble focusing on nearby objects. Both myopia and hyperopia are medical conditions affecting vision.

While being as nearsighted as I am can be challenging, it isn't without its benefits. One advantage of my nearsightedness is the precision with which I can see extremely close objects. With my uncorrected vision, I can see the smallest pore, print or tiniest object perfectly.

Vision. According to Merriam-Webster, vision is, "the act or power of seeing:  SIGHT."

As we enter into the final week leading up to Christmas, I want to avoid a sight condition which affects the vision of our lives. It comes under the guise of busyness, distraction and holiday spending. This condition becomes the focal point of December and blurs the real reason for the season. I'd like to issue this challenge:  Let's avoid Christmas hyperopia. Let's not allow the farsighted pageantry, food, presents or family gatherings to blur our vision to what's right in front of us.

I want to have Christmas myopia. I want to see Jesus' birth with precision. With perfection. Near me. And then know that close within my heart is the present of his presence. For me. For you.

See it clearly. Simplify Christmas. Celebrate Christ.

"This is what you're to look for:  a baby wrapped in a blanket and lying in a manger."   Matthew 2:12 (The Message)

Merry Christmas, dear ones!  Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!