Monday, March 25, 2013

Jesus in the Sand

While shelling the beach at Sanibel Island a few weeks ago, I picked up a sail catfish bone. I recognized it immediately. It was familiar to me because it was similar to the trio I have displayed on my bookcase at home.

My grandma painted sail catfish bones decades ago. Sadly, I don't remember my grandma because she passed into glory when I was only a year old. While I don't remember her, I feel like she's a kindred spirit. I share her love of writing poems. I share her love of crafting and creating. I share her love of Jesus.

Painting "Crucifix Fish" married my grandma's love of crafting to her love of Jesus. I need only close my eyes to imagine her bent over her table, lovingly painting the tiniest details onto the stark bones.

I have a postcard that explains the story of the "Crucifix Fish."


I love the poem. I love how God uses a walk along the beach to connect me to his son. I love how my grandma's passion for Jesus ignited her family's Christian heritage. I'm thankful for the joy of knowing Jesus. I'm totally undeserving of his sacrifice, but he found me worthy.

 My trio of "Crucifix fish" are a daily reminder of God's greatest gift of love.


"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life."
John 3:16 The Message




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!