Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Change in the Weather

Michigan weather. There's a saying that goes something like this: "If you want to know the weather in Michigan, wait five minutes." It's true. Michigan weather changes in the blink of an eye. Winters are no exception. This roller coaster fluctuation keeps us Michiganders on our toes and was especially evident over the last week.

I have been home bound for the last thirteen days...yes, I'm counting. During this time, I have spent a great deal of quiet time simply looking outside. Let me recap the weather of the last week for you. Gale force winds. Snow. Blowing snow. Frigid temperatures. Below zero wind chills. More snow. Sleet. Freezing rain. Rain. Fog. Thunderstorms. Gusty winds. Balmy temperatures.

I witnessed all this nastiness from the safety of my home. I enjoyed an unobstructed view of this nastiness because our home is an A-frame designed with a front wall of windows overlooking the woods. While the storms brewed all around me, I was protected. Safe. No worries about the bite of the cold. No fear of a soaking from the rain. No fretting over falling limbs. I rested easy knowing that, while the storms raged around me, I was safe.

Hmmm. Protection. I realize I need more protection from life's storms than I need from weather's fickle fluctuations. I need a place of refuge. A safe haven that takes away my worries, fears and frets. Praise the Lord! I have that place. God is my ROCK, my refuge, my strength. The only action needed is mine. If I plunk down at his feet and allow him to wrap his loving arms around me, I will be protected from life's storms. Oh, those storms will still rage around me. They will howl, they will pelt, they may soak me, but they will not harm me. I am safe in the arms of my loving Father.

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer, my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge." Psalm 18:2

"He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:2

"There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides on the heavens to help you and on the clouds in his majesty. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." Deuteronomy 33:26-27a

Where are you riding out the storm?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!