Friday, October 11, 2013

Inside out...

A Facebook friend of mine posted last week that she went to work and never noticed that she had worn her shirt inside out all day long! This post made me smile remembering the day I went to work with two mismatched shoes on my feet. In my defense, they were the same style, one just happened to be navy while the other was black!

Hmmm, inside out. What if we could focus more on what's on the inside instead of what we see on the outside?

It's silly how much time...and money...women spend on their looks. And believe me, I am including myself here!



Manicures. Pedicures. Hair cuts. Color. Highlights. Then add in the beauty products. Gels. Lotions. Perfumes. Serums. Puttys.


Human beings, men and women alike, are experts at wearing masks.We are terrified of not measuring up. We go to great lengths striving for perfection.

It's as if our true selves are not worthy to be seen.


Jesus is not concerned with our outward appearance. He is interested in the matters of the heart. In fact, he warns us about being concerned about our outward appearance while our insides are rotting. In Luke 11, Jesus scolds the Pharisees with these words: "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also?"

The next time I pick up my mascara and eye liner, I need to remember to "dress up" my heart as well. I need to petition the Lord with the words from Psalm 57 (here from The Message):

"Soak me in your laundry and I'll come out clean, scrub me and I'll have a snow-white life. Tune me in to foot-tapping songs, set these once-broken bones to dancing. Don't look too close for blemishes, give me a clean bill of health. God, make a fresh start in me, shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life. Don't throw me out with the trash, or fail to breathe holiness in me."

Thanks for the loofah, Jesus! I'll need it daily to clean my innermost parts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!