Saturday, October 4, 2014

Life.is.short.

It's been a long while since I've written. But this week was a week that screamed out,

"Life is short."

Which is God's way of telling me to pay attention.

Two tragedies this week brushed up against the ho-hum of my workday week.

My morning commute takes me southbound on US 31 into Holland. On Tuesday morning, before the 7:00 a.m. hour, the sea of red and blue police lights pierced the inky blackness in an alarm of fierce danger near the Riley Street intersection. As traffic slowed to a crawl, I silently wondered why all the police cars were present when there was no indication of an accident. No ambulance. No damaged vehicles.

Later in the day, I heard the report that a fifteen year old West Ottawa student had been struck and killed while crossing the highway.

"Life is short."

Wednesday afternoon, I received word from a friend that our former coworker had been crushed in an accident at his home. He died shortly afterward at the hospital. His wife posted a fun message on Facebook just hours earlier. And then, life changed.

"Life is short."

And just now, as I ponder a verse to attach to this blog post, Bible Gateway's verse of the day pops up:

"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring."
Proverbs 27:1 (NIV)

Thanks, God, for reminding me of your gift of life. Today, I vow to remember just how precious life is. I will enjoy every moment of today. I will celebrate my family and the love we share. And I will try my best to be a shining light for Jesus in my speech and in my actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!