Thursday, December 24, 2015

Crafty Christmas

I started a Christmas tradition many years ago, partially to satisfy my crafting obsession, but mostly because I love to give gifts. I make and share a simple gift with my coworkers, family and friends. The gift is usually a Christmas ornament, but I've also given display pieces and wall plaques.

This tradition is an annual process that begins as early as January, but typically gears up in October. The first step is brainstorming. This is the hmm stage. I peruse. I scrounge. I ponder. Hours are spent at Hobby Lobby or the other place my husband has jokingly dubbed, "my boyfriend's house." Michaels.

Following the AHA! moment, the busy time of buying and gathering supplies for the chosen project commences. The testing process begins in earnest with a prototype or two or twelve. I tend to be a perfectionist, which in retrospect, is a good thing. Some of my best ideas have come from the frustration of a crumpled paper or a crushed object that ends up being the absolute perfect part of the finished piece. Hours squirreled away in my craft room produce just the right gift for the season.

Production begins on the dozens of gifts to be crafted. Each gift is lovingly pieced together and critiqued when finished. The final step in the entire process is gift wrapping. The finishing touch of wrapping is almost as important as the gift itself. Great care and planning is involved for the protection and display of the gift itself.

Over the years, projects have included Christmas trees and jingle bells, vintage stars and snowmen, but one ornament seems to be a favorite. Each year, without fail, a coworker or friend will bring up the "Names of God" ornament. These ornaments were hand lettered with some of my favorite Biblical references to our Triune God.

And that's where I'd like us to rest. I'd like us to reflect on Christmas Eve. To ponder the Christ child and his gift of life.

Guide. Maker. God. Potter. Lamb of God. Redeemer. Living Water. Comforter. Alpha and Omega. Everlasting Father. Mighty God. I AM. Holy One. Lamp. King of Kings. Lord of Lords. Master. Creator. Shield. The Way, the Truth and the Life. Cornerstone. Head. Messiah. Pearl of Great Price. Hope. Prince of Peace. Deliverer. Savior. Jesus. Friend. Life.

Merry Christmas, dear friend. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!