Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Maundy Thursday/Good Friday Reflection


Today, I want to share with you a reflection that the Holy Spirit laid on my heart this week. My devotions have me in Genesis right now, so I was surprised by the intensity of this conviction. This was not a mere prompting, nor a nudging, but a full blown wallop!  It's hard to put into words, but I'll try my best to explain.

From Matthew 27, we learn that the notorious criminal, Barabbas, is to be crucified. We also know that the crowd demands that he be set free and Jesus crucified in his place. Usually this an altogether too familiar story. Yet, we don't know what becomes of Barabbas, or how Jesus' replacement affects his life following the crucifixion. Did Barabbas become a believer? Did he continue his life in notoriety as a criminal?

Then the wallop struck me. I am Barabbas. I am a notorious sinner. A sinner day in and day out. And Jesus took my place. He was crucified for me. For my sin. Do I realize this truth? Am I changed because of it? Or have I become complacent with the familiarity of it all? The words from Matthew 27, verse 25 further added to my reflection: "The people answered, 'Let his blood be on us and on our children.'" While the crowd was blood thirsty and only wanted revenge for their sting of betrayal, Jesus knew that their chant was the truth. Literally his blood was on us and on our children. He bore our wrath and our sin. Wow!

To place myself in Barabbas' shoes has been a humbling experience for me this week. The smack of my guilt has not been easy to swallow. But it is with joy in my heart that I thank my dear Jesus for the gift of life he has given me. This Easter season, I rejoice with renewed adoration for my King.

I hope you will join me in experiencing this week with new eyes and a truly thankful heart for Jesus' incredible gift. 

Happy Easter, dear friends. He is risen. HE IS RISEN INDEED!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!