Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Hidden danger....

I'm the ultimate exercise procrastinator. I know I should participate in physical activity, I just have little desire to do so. Actually, I have ZERO desire to do so. I can think of countless things to do ahead of exercise. Like read. Or play a game. Or be bored do nothing whatsoever.

For this reason, I surprised myself on Sunday when I actually felt like taking our dog, Bessie, for a walk. Bessie is leash-aphobic, so our walks consist of trekking through our woods.

Fifteen years or so ago, my husband cleared trees to form a trail around the perimeter of our property. Its purpose was for our kids to have a safe place to drive their go-kart. For several summers, the go-kart kept the trail clear, but in the years since then, the trail is mostly moss-covered and fern lined.

Five loops around the trail is the equivalent of one mile, so that is always my goal. On Sunday, I came way short of reaching my goal. At the end of lap one, Bessie and I needed to sneak through a tight spot between our pole barn and a grouping of trees. Because I was day dreaming, I was unaware of my surroundings and my inattentiveness was an unfortunate mistake. Hidden in a decaying, hollow branch, under a carpet of moss, lived a nest of bees. As luck would have it, my foot found the exact opening to the nest.

These were not happy bees.

Dogs, when stung, do not run. They sit and attempt to chew at the afflicted area. Humans, on the other hand, attempt all means of escape. In such a tight area, my escape route was blocked not only by a butt-chewing dog, but several large, unyielding trees. I was not quick enough. Several angry bees punished me for my lack of focus. How they all managed to poke me in my neck and upper back is quite a mystery to me, but the pain was instant and severe.

"Not fair!" I want to scream! I was doing a good thing for all the right reasons, and didn't deserve this attack!

As a Christian, I know from personal experience that Satan and his minions are the same as those angry bees. They are hidden from view, often in a beautiful, safe looking spot. And when I'm distracted or lose my focus, they are ready to attack.

I Peter 5:8 warns us: "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith..."

Those nasty bees won't surprise me again.

Ditto for my life foe...my feet are planted firmly in the faith.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!