Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Star light, star bright...

I'm a bit sleep deprived right now. In fact, I'm more than a bit drowsy. I have no one to blame but myself, and yet, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Last night I stayed up until the wee hours watching the Perseid meteor shower. From 11:30-12:30, I stretched out on a lawn chair on my deck, gazing skyward. When I came inside, I found my hubby awake and he was more than happy to join me. At that point, we reclined in our comfy chairs in our driveway and enjoyed the show in the heavenlies until about 1:45 a.m. 

When we were kids we called these happenings, "shooting stars." Part of the excitement back then was to immediately make a wish,. Supposedly, spotting these streaking stars was a surefire way to get your every wish granted!

As an adult, I still marvel at the raw beauty and mystery of a meteor shower. And last night, God seemed so close. So powerful. So mighty. So infinite.

The annual show seems to be the result of debris from the Swift-Tuttle comet that was discovered in 1862. Tiny fragments of metal and stone travel at 37 miles per second and create this spectacular show. Some think that the actual comet may date back 2,000 years or more. Think about that. Two thousand years ago puts us back to Bible times! In Jesus' day, people may have witnessed the same light show we witness today. From the same comet. How cool is that? 

So as I day dreamed, or should I say night dreamed(?) last night, I thought about God's covenant with Abraham. God's promise that Abraham's descendants would number the stars in the sky. It's recorded in Genesis 15 at verse 5.  "God said to him, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars - if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be.""

I'd like to imagine that Abraham looked up into the night sky and felt God's power and might. Maybe he even witnessed a "shooting star." Maybe, just maybe, Abraham felt like I felt last night. God was close. God was powerful. God was mighty. 

Tonight, I'm hoping to watch an encore. It's a show worth staying up for!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!