Thursday, January 30, 2014

Blue is beautiful...

Today's front page headline sums it up pretty well. 96.5 inches of snowfall so far this winter. 96 1/2 inches! Do the math. That's just over eight feet of snow!  Eight FEET!

Frigid temps. Record lows. Continual snow. Activity cancellations. School closings.

I handle those things pretty well. In fact; shh, I actually enjoy this weather! I relish the old-fashioned feeling which accompanies the brutality of this winter's weather. Getting stuck in the thick, dense snow at an intersection. Slipping. Sliding. The heart racing exercise of shoveling snow.

What I struggle with is this: the lack of sunshine. I long for the stunning beauty of the cobalt blue sky. I yearn for the spreading warmth from the intense rays of a winter's sun. I desire the dazzling beauty of glistening white ground cover.

I'm not alone in my need. In fact, physicians even have a name for this need. It's called SAD. Yep, SAD. That stands for seasonal affective disorder. The lack of sunshine causes sadness, moodiness and depression. The long and short of it is that we humans need sunshine.

Unfortunately, in Michigan, we can go for weeks without a glimpse of the sun. And this winter has been no exception.

That is, until yesterday.

Yesterday the sun emerged victorious. It warmed our souls from sunup 'til sundown. We were gifted with an entire day to see shadows, squint and share happy spirits.

People were downright giddy. A trip to Meijer after work confirmed my suspicions. People were downright joyful. It was obvious. There were the two guys struggling to push their cart through the snow-covered parking lot who laughed, joked and waved at me. There was the encounter with the husband who thought he needed to help me pick out my bunch of bananas.  Add to that the smiles and chatter of children with their moms. My trip ended with the cheerful cashier who chatted while scanning my groceries.

The sun had an incredible impact on humanity.

Amazing how our need for the sun mirrors our need for the Son. The Son of God. Jesus. We humans need Jesus.

So...is it apparent to folks? Can they see that we're bathed in the light of the Son? Is it obvious? Are we downright giddy and joy-filled? Do they see the difference it makes for the Son to be victorious in our lives?

My prayer is this: "Jesus, please help me shine your light. Today. Tomorrow. Every day. Thank you, Jesus! Amen."

I pray this same prayer for you as well.

From Matthew 5:

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!