Saturday, July 11, 2015

In the beginning...

Occasionally, I log onto our church's website to find and read the applicable Scripture passage for the current week, and last week, this is exactly what I did.  The Sunday morning sermon was based on Genesis 1, the very first chapter of the Bible.

Now the creation story is one that I've heard or read dozens of times, but last week as I opened my Bible, I asked God to reveal something new and exciting from this familiar text. And that is exactly what God did. He pulled me in, hook, line and sinker, from the very first words.

"In the beginning..."

Before the origins of the world, before man's first breath, before any form of life existed, God was. God was there. I'm not sure how, I'm not sure why, but my faith tells me this is true.

"God created the heavens and the earth."

He made all we can see with our human eyes. He created all we can see with our telescopes. He created galaxies beyond our reach and beyond our comprehension. But, God did, in fact, create it all.

"Now the earth was formless and empty..."

I picture a flubber-like material. You know the kind:  a gooey glob that has no form. Filled with...nothing. Empty. Lifeless.


"...darkness was over the surface of the deep..."

Now picture an inky blackness that has NO light and no end. Pitch black and hollow. "The deep" conjures up frightening thoughts and we are programmed to be afraid of the dark.


"and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

The spirit of the Triune God was present. Hovering. Remaining. Waiting. Always present. Always there. Always in command. Always.


And then, ACTION!

"And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light."

God, in charge, spoke the word and it was so. Light. Brilliant, beautiful brightness. By his command, light.

"God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness."

Light separated from darkness. Good. Spoken into existence by our Holy, Infinite God.

"God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

Day One. Complete. By spoken word. The simplicity of God's order in creation is incredible when we think about it. Life needs light. Life needs night for rest and refreshment. God, in his infinite wisdom, knew the perfect order of creation.

With this post, I want to begin a series. One post for each day of creation. I'm not a scientist. I'm certainly not a theologian. But I'd like to share how God revealed himself anew through the first chapters of the Bible.

I hope you'll join me as we soak in the depths of Genesis, chapters one and two,

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!