Saturday, July 18, 2015

The blues...

We join creation in progress...

On Day One, God spoke light into existence and separated the light from the darkness. For more on Day One, click here

God continues to speak on Day Two and He continues to separate.

In Genesis 1:6, God continues to form our world by a mere few words. Translations vary in the term used to describe the space between the separation. Vault. Space. Expanse. Firmament. Canopy. For simplicity, I'll use The Message translation, "Sky! In the middle of the waters, separate water from water!"

Sky.



"God made sky. He separated the water under sky from the water above sky. And there it was: he named sky the Heavens."

My simple human mind cannot fathom or understand how water can be above the sky, so I'll leave that mystery unexplained. But God's use of water throughout Scripture is vital to life. Our life. Eternal life. Jesus tells the woman at the well in John 4, "whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

When I read of God separating the waters in Genesis 1, I think of baptism. I think of the separation of the waters of the world from the water of heaven. When we are baptized, we go under the water and we are washed clean. It's then that we are lifted out and reborn into the waters of eternal life.

I like that picture. I'm thankful that my God is a patient God who will wash me clean every time I go to him in my grimy state. I rest on his promise of living water and the hope that I have in Jesus Christ, his son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!