Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fall back...

Tonight we change our clocks back an hour to mark the end of Daylight Savings time. I don't know about you, but I LOVE this night of the year. I appreciate the extra hour of sleep and I almost always go to bed my normal time so that I really do get the benefit from the extra hour. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it!  ;)

You would think we have a time addiction at our house, given the number of clocks we own. We have wall clocks, a mantel clock, alarm clocks, an oven clock, a microwave clock and even a cuckoo clock. Add to that our cell phones and my handy Indiglo Timex watch and we definitely should have no problem being on time. Yet for some reason we seldom are.

Time matters in our society. Employees punch time clocks. Business men set meeting times. Athletes strive for record times. Parents set nap times for their babies, bedtimes for their toddlers, and curfew times for their teenagers. We frown on being tardy for school. We are glared at for being late to church, to weddings and for funerals.

And then comes the question of spare time. How do I, how do we, fill our spare time? Housework? T.V.? Facebook? XBox? With Friends? With Family? Alone? With God? Quiet time with God is important for seeking and understanding his will. If I fill every moment of every day with activity,  I have a good chance of missing God's voice in my life. Why would I risk losing his extraordinary presence in my seemingly very ordinary life?

The answer is simple. For the most part, I choose my plans over God's plans. My God eyes get blurry because I'm focused solely on my earthly needs and wants. I need to remind myself that he desires to meet with me every day. I just need to choose him. I simply need to leave my housework and listen to Jesus.

Luke 10:38-42 (NIV):

At the Home of Martha and Mary

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him.39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feetlistening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but only one thing is needed.[a]Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

What will you do with your time today? I choose to be a Mary. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!