Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Who was voted in?

Yesterday I worked the General Election. I spent fifteen plus hours working at our township's Precinct #1. Call me twisted, but I thoroughly enjoy being an election worker! There's something truly patriotic about learning the intricacies of the voting process and following the strict rules set in place before, during and after an election.

As my fellow workers and I went through pre-opening procedures, a growing crowd gathered outside in the chilly darkness. Following the, "Hear ye, hear ye, the polls are now open" command, it was exciting to see folks pour through the doors at the early hour of 7:00 a.m. A static energy filled the air. I felt proud to be an American. The steady stream of humanity continued all day and made it apparent that voters were passionate about their candidates.

By the time I arrived home just before ten, it was apparent that a victor was ready to be announced. The media simply waited for Pacific coast polls to close before "calling" the presidential race. With the country equally divided between the candidates, I realized that a full one-half of Americans would wake to disappointment in the morning. The passion of Election Day would be followed by either celebration or disbelief.

Regardless of how you cast your vote, I'm positive you chose the candidate you felt was right to lead our country. You may have done some research. You may have sought advice from your family. You may have chatted with your friends. In the end, you selected your candidate based on his words, his actions, his convictions, his platform, or maybe even his appearance. But in spite of our best efforts, we really don't know the true state of our candidate's heart.

The opposite is true of our Elector. In case you need clarification, our Elector is God! Now I know with certainty that I am not a candidate worthy to be listed on God's ballot! My words, my actions and my thoughts do not warrant a selection on his slate. But I am blessed! You are blessed. WE are blessed. For God does not choose us based on our merit, but rather through his mercy, his grace and his love. He checks our name and records it in his Book of Life. The polls are closed and we have been chosen as God's elect!

Skeptical? Don't take my word for it. Read it here from the Scriptures:

2 Thessalonians 2:13-16

"But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers loved by the Lord, because from the beginning God chose you to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit and through belief in the truth. He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter. May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word."

1 Peter 2:9-12

"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!