Thursday, April 4, 2013

Minty freshness

I was at the dollar store this week. Love that place! On any given day, I usually score a random assortment of stuff. This week's stash included stones, masking tape, tissue paper, a wire cutter and a toothbrush. Most of my purchases were for wedding decorations, but the toothbrush was a last minute grab. I don't normally buy a toothbrush since my routine dental checkups usually include a "soft" toothbrush. Not so this last visit. I ended up with a "hard" bristle toothbrush. That puppy nearly ripped my gums apart.

Anyway, back to the dollar store and the toothbrush purchase. I'm a bit leery of buying an off brand of anything, so I checked out the pegs with the Colgate and Aim brushes. I must admit, for this purchase, I wasn't too choosy; my only criteria was a "soft" bristle style in a color I liked. I grabbed an Aim Revolution brush in a cool Caribbean green color and was off to the checkout.

Once home, I ripped the brush out of the package, stowed it in my bathroom cupboard and decided to demote my old brush to laundry scrubbing detail. Out of respect for my old brush, I let it say goodbye to my teeth with one last bedtime brush.

The next day started out like most other days. My morning routine is pretty mundane. The first order of business is to pop in my contacts since my vision tests out somewhere around the 20/800 range. Next I brush my teeth. On this morning, I didn't think too much about my new toothbrush, since, let's face it, there not much excitement in foaming up your mouth with minty freshness.

Hokey smokers! Was I ever walloped out of my morning fog when I started brushing. This toothbrush was the Cadillac of brushes. This brush had tiny bumps on the backside that massaged my cheeks. This brush had soft, pliable plastic arms on the outside that tickled my gums. This brush made my mouth happy! My brain jumped into alert mode at this new morning delight!

I have to say, seriously, this toothbrush is what its name states, a "Revolution!"

Joy sprang from the ordinary. Plain. Simple. Wonderful.

God is like my new Aim Revolution toothbrush. God likes to turn the mundane moments of life into spectacular bliss! He loves to add excitement to life in the chance encounter with a friend. He finds pleasure in bringing happiness to life through the giggle of a toddler. God sprinkles joy on tender hearts with a Scripture passage. He dazzles eyes with a glorious sunrise.

Be on the lookout...God is waiting to surprise you. Today the ordinary becomes extraordinary. Just wait and see.

Romans 15:5-6 says,

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Aim for Revolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!