Monday, May 27, 2013

A Memorial Day reflection

As I sit on my comfy couch, in my warm family room on this chilly May day, I realize how clueless I am. I am clueless to the hardship. I am clueless to the sacrifice. I am clueless to the loneliness. Today, hundreds of thousands of men and women are enduring the hardship, the sacrifice, the loneliness and the separation from family. Each and every one of these folks are ensuring my freedom and yours.

Today's military personnel are joined by millions more, who over the centuries fought, died and endured the extreme conditions of selfless sacrifice for our country. Some have died. Some have been injured. Some are plagued with mental anguish. For me. For you.

Thank you.

A mere, "thank you," does not seem enough. But today, I mean it. From the bottom of my heart.

Thank you.

As Americans, freedom is our privilege in the United States. We are blessed. Truly blessed.

As Christians, we have an even greater freedom. A freedom that releases us from the ways of the world. A freedom that allows us to be heirs to an eternal kingdom. One man gave his life for this freedom. Jesus. Jesus is that man. He gave his life. For me. For you.

Thank you, Jesus.

A mere, "thank you," does not seem enough. But today, I mean it. Today I give you my heart.

Read about our freedom as Christians in 2 Corinthians 3:16-18:

"But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

I am free. Truly free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!