Sunday, June 9, 2013

Church on the beach

My church family is important to me. The weekly gathering of believers is an important part of worship, but once in a while, my husband and I like to do our own thing. A few Sundays a year, we venture out of our ordinary routine. 

Such was the case this morning. We packed up the comfy folding chairs, grabbed our Bibles and headed out to Lake Michigan. Our township has a great park for residents that is just a short drive away, and that was our destination. 

On this beautiful sunshine-filled morning, we had the beach to ourselves. Lake Michigan was flat, and just the slightest lapping noise greeted our ears. Gulls soared to and fro. A couple paddle boarders guided their crafts along the shoreline in the distance. We settled in our chairs and enjoyed the peace God prepared for us.

My husband shared Psalm 112. I shared a few verses from I Thessalonians. While neither of us knew what verses the other had in mind, God in his infinite wisdom had coordinated the theme of our verses. I revel in the times I see what I call, "God-cidence."

Looking out over the vast expanse of Lake Michigan, I realize the greatness of God's love. God's creation praises him from the depths of the lakes to the tops of the dunes. We, as his created beings, join in to worship.

From Psalm 96:

"Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad;
let the sea resound, and all that is in it.
Let the fields be jubilant, and everything in them;
let all the trees of the forest sing for you,

Let all creation rejoice before the LORD..." 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!