Monday, March 24, 2014

Manna from Heaven

"Ugh!" It was the first thought that popped into my head this morning when I opened the garage door. Snow on the driveway. Again. I feel trapped in a snow version of Groundhog Day; only minus Bill Murray's sense of humor.

Let's face it: we're winter weary. We've had months of unceasing snow. We dream of green grass and warm temps. We long to exit our homes without having to don down jackets and thermal boots.

So this morning, my first thought was a grumbling response. And then I was struck, almost as if literally by a two-by-four. I was reminded of the wandering Israelites in the desert. God provided for their every need. He sent daily bread, manna, for them every morning. And what did they do? They grumbled and complained. They grumbled to God in spite of his care.

From Numbers, chapter 11: "Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the Lord...the rabble with them began to crave other food, and again the Israelites started wailing and said, “If only we had meat to eat! 5 We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic. 6 But now we have lost our appetite; we never see anything but this manna!”

And so it is with me. Way too frequently, I grumble. I complain. And this morning, God helped me realize that rather than grumbling, I should be thankful.

So here goes. Here is a list of things for which I should give thanks on this, the 24th day of March, 2014:

  • A warm house. I have a roof over my head. I am not homeless.
  • A down jacket (or two) plus boots (times a half dozen). I am protected from the cold and my feet stay dry.
  • Flannel sheets. Enough said.
  • Hot coffee, plus a husband who brews it for me each morning.
  • A dependable car to get me to work each day. Ditto for the awesomely stable job that awaits me each work day.
  • Health. I should cherish that as a gift. 
  • Faith. I have a God who patiently listens to me grumble, and prompts me to give thanks.

I should, and could ramble on and on about the many things I take for granted. Instead, I'll lift those up in a prayer of thanksgiving to the One who deserves my praise.

In the meantime, I will rejoice in this day. I will rejoice in the warmth of the sunshine, and I will thank God that each new day brings us one day closer to the promise of spring.

Psalm 86:
11 Teach me your way, Lord,
    that I may rely on your faithfulness;
give me an undivided heart,
    that I may fear your name.
12 I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart;
    I will glorify your name forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!