Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Fragrance of Life

Last week I went on a baking frenzy. Those of you who know me well are smiling. The kitchen is a room in our home I wish I could do without. That's right. I would be totally content with a kitchen-less home. I am not a fan of cooking, baking, or food preparation of any sort. This is not to say that I don't love eating. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I just do not like to make it. Period. Pardon my rant. Anyway, back to last week. My husband came home from work, walked in the house, and immediately stated, "You're making Kremeltart." He knew right off from the scent that filled our home, the delight that awaited him for our evening dessert.

Fragrance can be that way. It can be a delight or a dread. My Dad had a love of cologne. He probably put on a tad too much every day. In fact, I know he did. But after I gave my Dad a hug, I carried his scent on my clothing for the rest of the day. Memories of my Dad still evoke the scent of his favorite cologne. On the other hand, have you ever been seated in a pew behind an elderly woman wearing "Orange Blossom" perfume? You nearly gag at the overwhelming power the odor carries around her person!

As Christians, we carry Christ's fragrance wherever we go. I pray that mine is a beautiful, attractive scent to those around me and not an unpleasant odor that begs a Febreeze cleansing. Praise God that Jesus sprinkles his fragrance on my life allowing my aroma to linger long after I have left to be a witness of my love for him.

2 Corinthians 2: 14-17 speaks of our fragrance to the world (I LOVE this passage):

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him. For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task? Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit. On the contrary, in Christ we speak before God with sincerity, like men sent from God."

Leave the scent of Him wherever you go...

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!