Sunday, August 26, 2012

Unselfish love...is there any other kind?

I've been thinking about love lately. Maybe it is on my mind because my wedding anniversary is coming up next week.  A whopping thirty one years! That's some OLD love.  Or maybe I'm thinking of love because we've attended a few weddings this summer. That's some NEW love. Or just maybe I'm thinking of love because I'm reminded of how much I love my kids, since we are adjusting to our empty nest, at least for the academic year. That's some HEART love. God's love, however; is a pure, UNSELFISH love. I'm reminded about how I should love God by a secular, country song that was popular about a year ago.  Sung by Uncle Cracker, it's entitled "Smile." If you don't know the song, do a search on the entire lyrics, but a portion of them are here:

"Don´t know how I lived without you
'Cuz every time that I get around you
I see the best of me inside your eyes
You make me smile
You make me dance like a fool
Forget how to breathe
Shine like gold
Buzz like a bee
Just the thought of you can drive me wild"

Oh, if only my love for Jesus could be so filled with joy and excitement. Paul also describes love for us in I Corinthians 13, appropriately called "The Love Chapter."  He's omitted dancing like a fool and forgetting how to breathe, but what a powerful example of true, unselfish love.  I'd like to share a portion of this passage from the Message (in quotes) along with some of my thoughts added in.  I hope you enjoy it!


Love is…

“Love is patient, love is kind,”
Love is almost always blind.
“It does not envy, does not boast,”
Love becomes a humble host.
“It is not proud, it is not rude,”
True love breeds soft-spoken mood.
“Not self-seeking,” not at all,
Selfishness is not love’s call.
“Slow to anger, tracks no wrong,”
Forgiveness is love’s sweetest song.
“Love rejoices in the truth.”
Lying lips bears out no proof.
“Love always hopes, protects and trusts,”
For love is pure, it never rusts.
“Love will not fail, but perseveres,”
Through ups and downs, through joys and tears.
God’s timeless love will never fade,
This commandment is one He made:
“Love one another” as my own
And trust in God and God alone.


I Corinthians 13: 4-8a
Scripture from “The Message”
Verse by Teresa De Graaf

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!