Thursday, August 9, 2012

Who you are when no one's looking...

A few years ago, I was given a nifty motivational frame with a picture of a kayaker navigating a beautiful river.  The words that accompany it are these: "Your true character is revealed by the clarity of your convictions, the choices you make, and the promises you keep. Hold strongly to your principles and refuse to follow the currents of convenience. What you say and do defines who you are, and who you are...you are forever."  I am convinced that your true character is defined by who you are when no one is looking. Let me share an incident I experienced this last week. 

After waiting fifteen minutes in the checkout lane at Meijer, I wrapped up my grocery purchase and started pushing my cart away from the checkout when I noticed a bottle of contact lens solution hidden between two Powerade multi-packs.  I had paid for the Powerade, but not the contact solution. Its cost? A whopping $4.55 + tax. Turning back, I realized the cashier was already checking out the next order. Nuts! And so began my dilemma. What should I do? Pay or leave? Refusing to wait in line, I headed out the door to the parking lot. I decided that on my next shopping trip, I would pay for the solution. And yesterday, I did just that. I added $4.82 to my order for last week's "purchase." The cashier was confused, dumbfounded and even speechless when she finally understood what I was doing. Eventually, she ended our transaction by mumbling out the words, "I guess I need to thank you for your honesty."

Now, I'm not looking for kudos or a pat on the back for doing the right thing. In fact, I still feel a pang of guilt for not paying at the courtesy desk last week. But what I realize is that while I can talk about character being defined by what I do when no one is watching,  I never really have that option. I need to understand that God knows my every move. He sees and watches my actions. Through faith, I want to be aware that every day God is actively working in my life. This awareness is not meant to bring guilt, but a desire to serve him. To love him. To devote the mundane tasks to him. To dedicate the great things to him. All these things lead to the great truth that Jesus shares with us in John 5. Jesus does not tell us to go out and bear fruit. The truth he shares is that we cannot bear fruit on our own. In fact, Jesus tells us simply to remain in him. Remain. Stay. Grow. Flourish. Bear fruit.

 Enjoy the truth, right from Jesus lips.  In John 15: 4-9, he says:

4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. 9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!