Monday, October 22, 2012

Did you hear the one about...?

One of my work friends sent me a joke today. It was a good, clean joke. One I would call a "groaner" joke. With the ease of email and the internet, jokes can be shared with just a few keystrokes. At my previous job, we loved circulating blonde jokes. Our target was one of our coworkers who happened to be a blonde. She took no offense at the jokes; in fact, she shared some of her own because she was nothing like the subjects in the blonde jokes. She was intelligent, sweet and reserved. 


We learn jokes early. Even preschoolers thrive on a memorized "knock, knock" joke they love to recite to anyone within earshot. Unfortunately, for most teens and adults, the jokes we share take on a malicious tone. These jokes make fun of ethnicity, occupation and intelligence. I'm ashamed to admit that I've told or listened to these jokes far too often.

Scripture talks a great deal about the tongue and our speech.

Proverbs 11:12 - "Whoever derides their neighbor has no sense, but the one who has understanding holds their tongue."

Proverbs 12:18 - "The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing."

Proverbs 15:4 - "The soothing tongue is a tree of life, but a perverse tongue crushes the spirit."

James 3:9 - "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness."

Lately, I've become more aware of the power of the spoken word. I am renewing my commitment to follow Jesus' example. Jesus embraced and spoke up for the outcast, the outsider, and the down and out. So I am trying hard to think before I speak. For me, this is nearly impossible! BUT, so far, I've learned the joy in sharing a word of encouragement. I've seen the smile in response to a compliment. I've experienced the blessing from an act of selflessness. I have a long journey in front of me, but what a companion I have alongside me!

Psalm 15:

Who can live in your tent, LORD? Who can dwell on your holy mountain?
The person who lives free of blame, does what is right, and speaks the truth sincerely; who does no damage with their talk, does no harm to a friend, doesn't insult a neighbor; someone who despises those who act wickedly, but who honors those who honor the LORD; someone who keeps their promise even when it hurts; someone who doesn't lend money with interest, who won't accept a bribe against an innocent person. Whoever does these things will never stumble."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!