Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Getting fit...

It was my birthday recently. I have an early October birthday, for which I am grateful. I totally love the fall and the changing of the seasons. I'm not a stickler for gifts, and in my family we don't make a huge deal out of birthdays, but my dear, sweet aunt knows a gift I love. Although she knows that I know that she knows, she wrapped my gift anyway. And so I received this gift that I love...double dipped chocolate covered malted milk balls. From the Holland Peanut Store. Actually, I'm not fussy. I will take either kind. Milk chocolate. Dark chocolate. Doesn't matter. Even a mixture of both. And so it was with the gift from my aunt. Two plus pounds of double dipped chocolate covered malted milk balls. I actually have one stuffed in my cheek as I write! Oh, how I love sweets and oh, how I love to eat!

Unfortunately for me, when the calendar turns to October, there is this other event that also occurs. It's an event I dread. It's this thing that we do at work. It happens every year. Or at least that's how I choose to remember it. This thing is called "Walktober." It is what its name implies. It's a month where we are encouraged to walk, as individuals, or as a team. The minimum log amount is thirty minutes a day, the maximum sixty. This event is part of the Wellness program that encourages healthy lifestyle choices. Don't get me wrong; I understand the concept. But for me, I want to sit and eat double dipped chocolate covered malted milk balls. I do not want to walk. I know that sounds pathetic, but it's the truth.

The interesting part of the month of October is how this walking program pans out. Thinking about walking and setting aside the time for walking is what I actually dread. Once I'm on my way, walking through Window on the Waterfront or walking the wooded path on our property, I am actually enjoying myself. It fits with my love of fall and the beauty of nature. So while I'm walking, I ask myself, "What's your issue? You actually enjoy this!" And so continues the cycle throughout the month. The dread. The love.

Now I must confess, I often do the same thing when it comes to my personal devotion time. Don't misunderstand; I don't dread devotions, it's just that Bible time seems to take a backseat in my life if I'm not intentional about my time. It's hard for me to think about and plan devotions into my daily schedule.  Over time, I've learned that, just as in my quiet walking time, once I relax, open my Bible and immerse myself in The Word, my love for God and his truth amazes and delights me.

I realize that I need to incorporate a spiritual wellness program in my life to stay fit for life. Fit for God. Fit for service. Fit for eternity. Paul in his letter to Timothy, encourages him to do the same in 1 Timothy 4:7-10 from The Message:

"Exercise daily in God - no spiritual flabbiness, please! Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart. This is why we've thrown ourselves into this venture so totally. We're banking on the living God, Savior of all men and women, especially believers,"  

Will you join me in God's fitness plan?

1 comment:

  1. Loving the "spiritual flabbiness" so true. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!