Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Disconnect

Wednesday I was half way to work when I realized I'd left my cell phone at home. Most days, this wouldn't be a big deal. On any given work day, my cell phone sits idly on my desk. Most days my cell phone is lonely. Only occasionally does my cell phone vibrate happiness with a text from my son or daughter.

Wednesdays however, are not normal, boring days for my cell phone. On Wednesdays I have two standing coffee dates. On Wednesdays, my cell phone is the only means of communication I have for contacting the two amazing college students I meet for coffee. In fact, we text every Wednesday. We confirm our weekly meeting time. We text last minute schedule changes. We text cancellations. We text late arrival notices.

With these thoughts racing through my mind, I decided I would call my husband as soon as I arrived at work. Surely he would make a special delivery drop off on his way to work. After all, crucial communication was at risk! And so, as I unlocked my office door, my only concern was the phone call to my husband. Arriving at my desk, I picked up my desk phone to make the call. Silence. No dial tone. Nothing. I unplugged and replugged the wall connection. Nothing. I unplugged the phone jack. Still...nothing.

This probably sounds silly, but the lack of a communication source made me feel weird. I felt disconnected. Alone. At a loss.

I have the same problem when I disconnect from God. Sometimes, it takes a period of time before I notice the change, but it always comes. The feeling of separation. When I unplug my prayer life, I feel weird. Alone. At a loss.

The thing is, the break in the line is my doing. I'm the one who has hung up, unplugged or disconnected. I love talking with God. I love sharing my joys and concerns with him. So why do I disconnect? The best answer I can think of is this:  communicating with God makes me vulnerable. It makes me realize I cannot do this thing called life on my own. I need God in every moment of every day.

Prayer taps into the greatest power source in the world. Communicating with God is the ultimate life line.

God is on the line, waiting for me to pick up my end.

Grab your phone and see if you can find the message in the number 463-547-8367. Please, don't dial (I don't need an owner of the number angry at me)...just look for the message. Let me know if you find it.

Philippians 4:6-7
"Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!