Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Recycle

Monday, April 22 is Earth Day. It's a day focused on caring for the earth and our responsibility to tend to the environment. The day sheds light on conservation and the need to create more "green" initiatives.

When our son, Barry, was five or six years old, he celebrated Earth Day in big ways. Each spring, he would pull his little red wagon down the driveway and walk up and down the road picking up trash. He was determined to do his part to keep our planet clean.

In recent years there has been a renewed effort toward going green. We conserve energy. We cut down on our waste. We enact "Adopt a Highway" initiatives. We recycle. All these things contribute to keeping the earth healthy.

The EPA describes recycling as, "the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products." Hmm. Sounds familiar. Sounds like something I read about in the Bible. Sounds like something I know from personal experience.

I'm in constant need of recycling. Yep. Me. On my own, I'm nothing more than a piece of trash. Used. Spent. Worthless. When I recognize my need for change, something amazing happens. When I throw myself in the recycling box and call my Recycler for pickup, he takes me, processes me and makes me new. He takes the old and transforms it into a new product.

Fit for service. Made new.

Titus 3: 3-7 tells us about being transformed from trash to treasure. Recycled by the hand of the Master Garbage Collector:

"At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kind of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of the righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!