Thursday, July 26, 2012

Genetics

Today, while browsing Facebook, I came across a picture of a child. This child is the daughter of a beautiful woman my husband and I knew as a high school student. We were youth leaders, and she was a member of our church's youth group. This picture was remarkable because the resemblance between mom and daughter is uncanny. Same wide eyes. Same curved lips. Same wavy hair. Looking at daughter was like looking at mother.  It's amazing how our looks, habits and behavior can mimic that of our parents. In my family, much to my husband's dismay, we females have an uncanny habit of leaving cupboard doors open.  My mom does it. My aunt does it.  I do it on a daily basis. Visit my house, and you're likely to see a kitchen cupboard ajar, or possibly a bathroom drawer open. And now, the tradition continues.  You see, my daughter has started this disturbing habit as well.  It seems a silly thing to have inherited.  But there it is.  Generation after generation.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the definition of genetics according to Webster.  "The branch of biology that deals with heredity..." Back up and leave off the 's' and you have genetic: "of the genesis, or origin, of something."  Hmmm.  Genesis.  Again, according to Webster: "the first book of the Bible, giving an account of the Creation." Even in the secular world, the word origin of genetics leads to Scripture.  What a true gift of God.  We were created in his image. You. Me. We are the children of God. Does my behavior reflect the nature of God?  Can others see the resemblance I have to my Father?  Today my God eyes turn inward to reflect on what traits I have inherited from my Creator.

Genesis 1:27: "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them."

Ephesians 5:1-2: "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!