Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Power outage

We lost our power around 2 a.m. this morning.  I was alerted to this fact by the mournful, dying chirp of our smoke alarm. The storm outside was ferocious as the wind whipped, the trees swayed, the lightning flashed and the rain pounded. For some reason, it didn't faze me. Within a few short moments of waking, I fell back into a sound sleep. The lack of power held no significance for me in the middle of the night. However, when my battery operated alarm clock signaled morning wake up, it was a different story. Suddenly the power outage was a serious inconvenience. No pump. No shower. Makeup by flashlight. A trickle of water for brushing teeth. On any other day of the year, I never give a second thought to my power source. It is there and I take it for granted.

And so it is with my relationship with God. There are stormy times in my life when I rest in the security of his embrace. I don't let the ferocity of the storm faze me. I rest in his care. Then there are times when I pay no attention to my power source. I rely on my own strength and my own resources. I don't give God a second thought. And suddenly, I feel the loss. It's as real as a punch to my gut. I realize I've stepped away from my God, and I lack power in my life. It's in those times, that I praise God for his faithfulness. I praise him for his grace. I praise him for his love. For he is always there for me. My power source is there even when I don't give it a second thought.  Thank you, God, for being my source of life. Help me to plug into your energy every day of my life.

Romans 15:13 says, "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!