Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Prequel

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Christmas is coming. It's December. Duh! The newspaper is chubby with big box and departments store flyers. Advent candles are lit during Sunday services. Cousin Eddie, George Bailey, Charlie Brown and Rudolph are nightly entertainment stars. And it's impossible to shop without encountering the infamous Salvation Army bell ringers.

For Christians, Christmas is a pivotal season in our faith calendar. Jesus, we know and believe, is the reason for the season. As I reflected on a Christmas blog post, I was struck by the realization that I needed to rewind. Really rewind. Rewind back to the reason we need Christmas. The plain, simple, yet totally heavy reason we need Christmas. Sin. My sin. Your sin. The world's sin. Now the following truth is not new, nor is it surprising, but I simple do not dwell on it. I AM A SINNER.

Four words with a need for emphasis. I am a sinner. I am a sinner. My actions are my responsibility alone. I cannot blame someone else for the things I do that I shouldn't, or the things that I don't do that I should. I am to blame. I am a sinner. As in present tense. However I choose to act today, I will sin. Period. I am a sinner. I guess this is where I have company. I'm just one in a world full of sinners. In fact, a world of ALL sinners. I am a sinner. There you have it. I am not perfect. Boy do I know it. Never was, never will be, at least not in this world.

There it is. The Christmas prequel. A world of sinners, in need of a Savior. God knew our need. God loved us so much that he gave us a solution. His only son. Jesus. God's gift to the world. Reflect on what that means in your life. And then understand this: if you believe that Jesus is your Savior and confess your sins, you'll be forgiven of all your sin. Once you've made that decision, don't live in the past, don't dwell on your sin, and don't wallow in self-pity. Dwell on his marvelous sacrifice. If that doesn't demand the ultimate happy dance, I don't know what does!

I John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness."

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall  not perish but have eternal life."

Are you dancing yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!