Saturday, December 22, 2012

Scandalous

My neighbor's daughter is pregnant. She is young. Maybe thirteen or fourteen. Her family is disappointed. No, devastated is more like it. I would have thought my neighbor was kidding had she not shared the news through tears. Her daughter is such a sweetheart. She is quiet. She attends youth group. She's a great student. Yet now, from what I hear, her boyfriend is ready to ditch her. He swears he has never touched her like that. Really? He is a few years older than her and he wants us to believe that his hormones aren't raging? Whatever. Girls just don't suddenly become pregnant. This situation is, of course, the subject for gossip. The neighborhood is buzzing!

It gets more interesting. The poor girl has come up with quite a story. I don't believe it and neither do her friends. But she is adamant. Get this: she says she's never had sex. She says she's a virgin. Ha! Oh, it gets better. She says she is pregnant with God's son. Whatever. I think her parents should send her away. Maybe send her to see a shrink. It's still hard for me to believe. She's such a sweetheart. But, really? This just takes the cake. Oh, have I told her her name? No? I should tell you her name. The girl's name is Mary.

There you have it. Of course my neighbor's daughter is not pregnant. But I have a feeling this is the way I would react if Mary was my neighbor's daughter. I'm sure that neighbors, family and friends had a field day with the gossip surrounding Mary and Joseph. Jesus' earthly parents did not have it easy. Sometimes I think we gloss over the whole Christmas story because we think we know it too well, yet we really don't know it at all. We don't ponder the consequences that resulted from the responsibility Mary and Joseph accepted with humility. We don't reflect on the fact that before Jesus was even born, his life was filled with controversy.

This Christmas season, I've had the opportunity to reflect, not only on Mary and Joseph's circumstances, but also that of the Magi, the shepherds and Mary's family through a Bible study. Through "The Christmas Story," and its accompanying video, I have been touched by the reality of Jesus' birth. I've been convicted by the humility with which Mary accepted her call. I've learned new truths about God's love. I've rejoiced, along with the shepherds and the Magi, in following the call to worship. But best of all, I've been reminded that God uses his most ordinary people to carry out his most extraordinary purposes.

Reflect on his story. Rejoice in his love. And then, be restored by his sacrifice.

Merry Christmas!

Isaiah 9:6

"For unto us a child is born,
Unto us a son is given,
And the government will be on his shoulders,
And he shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!