Monday, December 17, 2012

Dearly Loved

The events of this past week leave us reeling. The mass killing of innocent first graders is horrific and unimaginable, yet true. As a parent, my heart aches for the Newtown moms and dads whose lives have been shattered by a senseless, unthinkable act. I would argue that a parent's love is the deepest and purest love.

As a mom, I go to great lengths to ensure my kids' happiness, well being and safety. I have made midnight meals. I have made early morning doughnut drop offs. I have had middle of the night heart to heart talks. As parents, we kiss boo boos, make meals, do laundry, drive to the ends of the earth and say bedtime prayers. We sit through sporting events, volunteer for school events and chaperone class field trips. Almost without exception, we put our children before ourselves. That's just the way it is with parents. We would do anything for our kids.

Reflect on this for a moment. If we feel this way about our kids, just think of what lengths God goes to in caring for us, his children. I don't think we have a clue. Psalm 36:5 puts it this way, "Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies." What a great picture of the greatness of God's love. And then this verse from I John 3:1 drives home the truth. Here from The Message: "What marvelous love the Father has extended to us! Just look at it-we're called children of God! That's who we really are."

If you are a parent, hug your child today. If you are a child, hug your parent today. If you are a child of God, embrace his love for you today. He would do anything for you. Remember that. Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think...let me know!